Saturday, October 18, 2008

Early morning flight

Early Saturday mornng I got to fly over the Cascade mountains to Monroe and pick up a friend who was ahead of me to deliver a Cessna 180 to it's new owner. He had to be back and get to work so we left as it was getting light.


The lights of Yakima while climbing out.



Mt Rainer as I fly by.



Over the last of the mountains you can see the layer of clouds scattered across the coastal plain. It reminded me of the mornings flying to the interior of Borneo and looking for a hole to descend through over a village.

The runway here was narrow but paved and 2,000 ft. long. There was wispy fingers of fog over part of the runway that where only enough to throw off the depth perception so I had a bouncy landing. My passenger was waiting and jumped in with the engine running. It was my quickest turn ever as all I had to do was continue to the end, turn around and takeoff for home. The trip back put the winds at my back and the Pacer saw as much as a 133 mph ground speed. The fall colors where glorious and I am grateful every time I get to fly this time of the year.





1 comment:

Dave said...

Nice shots! Looks a bit chilly though. Brrrrrr. Thanks for sharing the story. Look forward to hearing more.